Volunteer with us!
Looking for an opportunity to assist us? We'd love to have you
- Spaces may be limited depending on the activity, time of year, and number of current volunteers.
- All volunteers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent.
- All volunteers must complete the online volunteer information form (link to the form is below). If your availability and interests match our needs, we will contact you.
- All volunteers must sign a confidentiality/safety/release and waiver form before beginning to volunteer with us. Volunteers under the age of 18 must also have one of their parents sign the document.
- Casual attire (e.g., jeans, t-shirts, etc.) and closed-toe shoes with closed heel and firm-grip soles required. Steel toe boots/shoes recommended. No sandals please.
Here are just a few of the ways you can help:
Tuesday Inventory: Every Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. for 30 - 60 minutes (depending on the size of the order requested) at our warehouse. Lift heavy boxes of food out of inventory and place them on carts so they are ready for transport.
Tuesday Night Crew: Every Tuesday, 6:30 p.m.-7:45 p.m. (end time can vary) at our Warehouse. Lift heavy boxes of food, and load these boxes of food in a truck for transport from our warehouse to our 20 Young Rd. location. You will require a vehicle to drive between our two locations and occasionally (when the truck is unavailable) to use your vehicle to help transport the boxes of food. High-school students are welcome to volunteer with their parent(s).
Wednesday Morning Food Sorting: Every Wednesday, 9:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m. (end time can vary) at our Warehouse. Sort, box, and pack food donations.
Monday and Wednesday Morning Store Stocking: Every Monday & Wednesday, 8:30 a.m.-10:15 a.m. (end time can vary) at our location on Young Rd. Stock store shelves with food donations, lift boxes full of food (if able), other ad hoc activities as required.
Casual Drivers: Pick up and deliver items (e.g. food donations) from local schools/businesses to our Warehouse. Volunteer Coordinator will call/email when a driver(s) is needed. Most pick-ups/deliveries occur during Kanata Food Cupboard office hours (Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. to 12 p.m.). Adults with van, SUV, station wagon or truck needed.
Special Events: Occur throughout the year. Examples include Kanata Santa Claus Parade, Canada Day Road Races, and the OC Transpo Food Drive. Please refer to our Events page throughout the year for these and other volunteer opportunities.
Pick-Up of Grocery Store Food Donations
Pick up food donations from the Kanata Food Cupboard donation bins located within various grocery stores in Kanata, and deliver the donations to the Kanata Food Cupboard Warehouse. Volunteers are asked to use their own vehicles.
Client Appointment Scheduling Volunteers
Answer client phone calls for food assistance and enter information into the Kanata Food Cupboard client database and corresponding daily appointment sheet.
Contact our volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org and start assisting those in need in your community today.