How we can help
We provide food assistance for Kanata residents in need.
Please phone 613-836-7847 Monday to Friday between 9 am and 12pm to register for our services and to book your appointment for the evening. Please do not leave a message to book your appointment; please continue to call until you speak with a scheduling volunteer.
If you have any questions about our services, please email the Client and Community Outreach Coordinator at email@example.com. If you need assistance and you live in Ottawa, but not in Kanata, please phone the City of Ottawa at 3-1-1 to be directed to the proper food assistance agency.
Proof of Residency
Individuals must be able to provide proof of Kanata residency at each visit/delivery by presenting two pieces of identification:
- One piece of identification must contain your photo;
- The second piece of identification must be a recent bill/invoice (dated within the last 1-2 months) that contains your residential address.
You are eligible to receive food assistance once every 30 days for however long your circumstances require. Periodic exceptions may be made if you require food assistance in less than 30 days.
What Methods of Food assistance are Available?
You can receive food assistance in one of two ways:
1. Visit us to do your shopping and make your own food selections
- You are able to come into our location and do your own shopping (Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday evenings). Our location is in St. Paul's Anglican Church at 20 Young Rd. (around the side of the church). Your shopping experience will be similar to a grocery store experience: you will be provided with a shopping cart and you will be able to select perishable and non-perishable food items, along with toiletry and household items when available. The size of your family will determine the quantity of food you can receive in each of the designated food categories.
2. Have food delivered to your home
- If you do not regularly have a means of transportation, you can arrange for a delivery of food on Tuesday evenings. This delivery service is only provided to those individuals and families that do not have a regular means of transportation to and from our location, or to those clients who are not able to shop for themselves.
- The delivered food is packed by evening volunteers in accordance with the size of your family.
- Volunteers will try their best to take dietary needs into consideration, so please provide any dietary details necessary when booking your appoinment.
(Please note that we cannot accommodate all dietary requests.)
Typical hamper contents
The hamper delivered to you is customized based on the number of individuals in your household and the number of adults, children, and infants in your home. Depending on availability, a typical hamper will contain a variety of perishable and non-perishable food items such as pasta, rice, cereal, fresh fruits and vegetables, and protein and dairy choices.