Last year, over 495 families requested help for Christmas.
The Kanata Food Cupboard would not have been able to assist these families without community support through the Adopt-a-Family program.
Approximately half of the clients that apply for our Christmas Program are
adopted by generous adopters like yourself. The remaining clients are assisted by the Kanata Food Cupboard directly. To try and ensure equality for all adopted and unadopted clients, the Kanata Food Cupboard has created suggested recommendations for Christmas Hamper items.
Adopters are asked to provide a frozen turkey and all the trimmings so that the family can prepare a complete holiday meal. Adopters are also asked to provide gifts for children 17 years of age and younger. Please also consider adding toiletries and treats/sweets to the hamper.
It is difficult to estimate what "adopting a family" may cost, but you might consider spending the following...
- approximately $100 for the food for Christmas dinner (depending on the size of the family)
- a maximum of $30 in gifts for each child 17 years of age and under
- $20 in toiletry items (e.g. toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, body wash)
- $20 in treats/sweets for the family to enjoy (e.g. chocolate, candy, hot chocolate, cookies)
An estimated costing table is provided for your reference.
We request that only NEW gifts are provided.
Please don’t wrap the gifts, although please feel free to include some gift wrap and other wrapping material if you choose.
This program is a confidential service. If you offer to "adopt" a family, you are provided with:
- a code number for that family;
- the number of adults and children in the family;
- the childrens' gender, ages, and clothing sizes;
- any gift items the adults have requested for the children.
If you have more funds available than what is necessary for your adopted family, please consider adopting a second family or donating extra gifts or food that can be distributed to others in need.
If there is a size and type of family that you would like to assist, we will certainly try and accommodate your preference.
If you would like to help a family this Christmas through the Adopt-a-Family program, please complete the adopt-a-family registration form.
For more information about adopting a family, please contact the Client and Community Outreach Coordinator.
Thank you for your support!